Message: "Making Gains: Epilogue"
Listen to it here: https://crossingschurchaz.org/messages/
Read: Jeremiah 29:11; Philippians 1:3-6; Psalm 42:1-4
Tom Lane presented an afterword to the series, “Making Gains.” His key point was that we cannot make spiritual gains without God’s help.
- Have you ever started a project you didn’t finish? What was the project, and what prevented you from finishing it?
- Read Jeremiah 29:11. Tom said that we cannot make spiritual gains entirely in our own effort. What do you think he meant by this? According to this verse, what are the four promises God makes to His people?
- A paradox is a statement that seems contradictory, yet is, nevertheless, true. Tom gave examples like the fact that we gain strength when we are weak, and that we triumph through defeat. Can you think of some other Christian paradoxes? Why do you think the Christian life is filled with paradox? (hint: Isaiah 55:8)
- Read Philippians 1:3-6. Paul wrote this letter to the Philippians from prison. What was Paul’s attitude about the Philippians (verses 3-4)? How did Paul view the Philippian believers (verse 5)? What was Paul’s confidence in the Philippians based on (verse 6)?
- Read Psalm 42:1-4. What did the psalmist want more than anything (verse 2)? In your own words, what do you think prevented him from achieving this? What do you do when God seems far away? Why do you think this helps draw you back closer to God?